Today was one of those days where I felt I like I had the weight of the world on my shoulders. As I was looking at my calendar for the month I counted that we have 15, yes 15, appointments for Liam. Between therapy, helmet adjustments, well checks, specialist visits, etc., etc., we have at least 3 appointments every week this month. I feel like we are living in the car or in a doctor's office. I was then adding in the dates when the packers and movers are coming
and then I was trying to figure out when I am going to cleaning out the house
and then I was trying to make sure Nathan and I get some date time
and then I was trying to fit in time with my friends - near and far
and then I was trying see when I would be able to get the appointments that I need before we leave
and ...
and...
You get the point.
While running around tonight (dropping off a variety of things I have cleaned out of my closets) a dear friend was willing to bear a bit of my burden and ask me how I was feeling about all of this. Up until that point, I had been in such a go mode and focusing on everything that needs to get done that I honestly hadn't thought about how I was feeling...other than overwhelmed. As we were talking, she asked me "What are you learning through all of this?"
Hunnh, something else I hadn't really thought about.
Then, it hit me - I am getting glimpses of God. I know that for some people God reveals himself in huge flashing lights that are hard to miss. They can pinpoint very clear, defining moments of when God showed up in their lives and completely rocked their world. Like Saul on the road to Damascus - they were blind, but now they see. I, on the other hand, am more like the Nation of Israel. I am blessed beyond measure. I am hard headed and rebellious. God shows up and changes me and then, like the Israelites, I forget. I get overwhelmed and frustrated and I try to do things on my own. I travel down the path until I reach the end of my rope and cry out "WHERE ARE YOU!?!" And like the Israelites, God reminds me of His goodness and that He has been there the whole time waiting to carry the load. He reminds me of how far I have come and how far I have left to go. These glimpses of God - in the good and the bad - continue to reveal to me my need for a savior. Thankfully, my debt has been paid through the death and resurrection of Christ.
Glimpses of God -
In the smiles of my happy little boy
In the snuggles and hugs of my big boy
In the rides across town
In the waiting rooms
In the quick moments stolen with my husband
In the brief chats with friends
In the overwhelming reminders of our abundance while cleaning out the house
In the quiet moments when my house is silent except for the clicking of computer keys
Glimpses of God
When I am running late and there is a traffic jam
When Caleb's 2 minute time out is taking a hour (you Mommies know what I am talking about!)
When Liam is irritated at me for taking him to ANOTHER appointment
When Nathan and I are short with each other
When I am staring at a pile of laundry, dishes in the sink, and toys all over the place
When I am exhausted beyond belief and can't turn my brain off to sleep
Glimpses of God in all things and through all things that is my prayer.

2 comments:
Leigh Ann, your writings touch my heart & my soul - I love reading them! It's fasinating how at different seasons of life we can still be experiencing so much of the same things. This last Tuesday I had one of those days as well. God so often shows up in the smallest whisper as we're in the midst of our days & responsibilities. God is always stretching us - He loves us too much to leave us as we are. I'm praying! With love, Ann
Awesome post. Love you, my friend.
Post a Comment