Wednesday, March 17, 2010

God is so Good

At night we have a pretty normal routine.  I get the boys ready for bed, we all climb into Caleb's bed and then we read Caleb's CARS book, the other car book  and Goodnight Moon.  Yes, every night.  What can I say the kid likes routine.  The last few nights though he has wanted a different routine.  We get ready for bed and he says "Rock Mommy. Sing Mommy."  So we say our prayers and I put Liam in his crib.  Then Caleb and I get in the rocking chair and I sing God is So Good.  If I sing a different song, he says "Stop Mommy.  Sing Song."   After each verse when I sing "He's so good to Caleb". He nods his head and says "Umm Hmm".   Every night it brings tears of joy to my eyes.

Our prayer for Caleb has always been that he would follow after his namesake - Caleb son of Jephunneh, a spy for the Israelites.  In the book of Numbers, God says of Caleb that "he has a different spirit and follows me wholeheartedly."   We can already see God's faithfulness in this.  I can't tell you what peace it brings to see an understanding in my 2 year old of the goodness of God and knowledge that the creator of the universe loves him.   I pray that this understanding will only deepen as he grows.

God has been so good to me  the last few weeks as well.  I can't tell you how many times when I was feeling like I was about to loose it and God just spoke to me.  Mostly in the form of scriptures that he brought to my mind and heart.  In all honesty, I haven't had much time to be in the Word lately, but I am so thankful that I took the time in the past to memorize these scriptures.  Here are a few that have encouraged me the last few weeks.


  The faithful love of the Lord never ends!
      His mercies never cease.
   
 Great is his faithfulness;
      his mercies begin afresh each morning.
   
 I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance;
      therefore, I will hope in him!”   

                         -Lamentations 3:22-24


  “Listen, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord alone. And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength.  And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today.  Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up.  Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders.  Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
             - Deuteronomy 6:4-9


31 But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
      They will soar high on wings like eagles.
   They will run and not grow weary.
      They will walk and not faint.

                -Isaiah 40:31


But those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit.  So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.  Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.
          -Galatians 6:8-11


If you know me at all you know that music is a huge part of my life and there are a number of songs that have been my theme songs these past 4 weeks.  These are two that have really spoken to me with what feels like a crazy number of changes that are going on.  


Hillsong United - Desert Song

JJ Heller - Your Hands

God is so Good.

1 comment:

The Shepard Girls said...

Your Hands by JJ Heller has been my constant companion through my most trying times. And I have always loved those verses in Lamentations. Thanks for the encouragement! You are doing such a great job with those boys and the reason is obvious- you're leaning on Him.