Critical thinking...this is something that has been on my mind for a while. (No pun intended) I have been trying to figure out the best way to put everything that runs through my head on this subject down on paper and some times the task becomes daunting. I have tried to compress it all, but there are a few rabit trails. =)
I get so frustrated at times with the lack of critical thought in our society. I think it becomes very evident to me during election times because it seems that instead of looking at the issues that are being discussed - that will have a huge impact on our nation and therefore our lives - people seem to look at how someone dresses or their gender or the color of their skin or who stumps for them and automatically make up their mind on whether or not they will vote for them. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? People choose to blindly follow party lines and don't realize that there are silly people on both sides of the political aisle. Growing up in D.C., I tend to think that I was exposed more to politics than people from other parts of the country and one thing my parents made sure I understood was that it wasn't about a party or a nice smile or flashy words - you have to really find out where people stand on the issues. If you do a little research you may be surprised what you find out.
I think my biggest struggle with a lack of critical thought comes in matters of faith. Now that may sound like a contradiction because I truly believe there are matters of faith that are without human understanding, but there are aspects of being a Christ follower that can be looked at very rationally and reasonably. Here is one example that pushed my buttons. Not very long ago I received an email forward from a friend about a Christian author and speaker who was in jail and it was asking to sign a petition for his release. It didn't say in the initial email why this person was in jail so my curiousity got the better of me and I went to look at the website. After reading the website, I was completely against signing this petition. He was in jail for breaking the law and his arguments as to why he hadn't broken any laws were poorly thought out and in complete contradiction to the Bible. This man who is a leader in some circles is in the wrong and he is perpetuating the reasons why "Christians" are looked upon with disdain by so many in today's society. I was irritated not only by this whole website and this man's disregard for the Bible he claims is his law, but I was also sadden because of the people who simply see that a Christian is in jail and assume that it must be persecution. Jesus is very specific on this issue (Mark 12:13-17). This man didn't follow the law and he is paying the consequences.
For me to blindy support someone who claims to have similar political, social or religious beliefs as I do would be as naive as supporting someone who is white simply because we have the same color skin. Do you know how many people would think I was stupid for doing such a thing?
Critical thinking doesn't just apply to politics and religion though. There are so many decisions in our daily lives that I have seen people make with what seems to be very little thought - purchases, relationships, jobs, moves...etc. That is a whole nother (did you know that is actually a word - I looked it up!?!) topic.
We were given brains for a reason...

2 comments:
Great blog. Critical thinking does seem to be something lacking in some very critical areas of society.
ditto. ditto. ditto.
Post a Comment