Sunday, May 11, 2008

Religion & Politics

I read a very interesting article today about the current lack of a place in our political system for young evangelical Christians.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2004406277_evangvote11m.html

If I had to vote today, I honestly don't know who I would vote for. From what I have seen so far, no one really appeals to me. I am going to have to do a lot of research and a lot of praying for direction.

Thoughts on the article???

4 comments:

Paro said...

I'm probably the least likely response anyone would be interested in b/c I'm a liberal Democrat who doesn't consider herself a fundamentalist or an evangelical, but I do consider myself a Christian, and I am, like the kid in the article you linked, voting for Obama. I think people are starting to realize that the government is a place for business to be conducted; the family, church, and community provide the place for "values" -- whatever you determine that word to mean -- to be instilled. When you let a Senator or, Heaven forbid, a President tell you what your values should be, you get into trouble.

Jill said...

I have tried to stay out of the whole political situation for now. I'm so sick of that being the only thing that is ever on the news. Once the Democrats settle on a candidate (please NOT Hillary!)I will try to reseacrh into what everyone stands for and their policies. As of right now I am leaning towards not voting for McCain. I feel like he will be just like Bush and I think we need something other than that right now to get us out of the situation we are in. This isn't saying that I will vote for Obama though. I'm not familiar enough with him to form an opinion yet. I've thought of sitting this election out, but I know I probably should vote.

Leigh Ann said...

Kacy -

While I appreciate what you are saying, governments from the dawn of time have told people what their values should be. Laws are set governing our "values" every day - murder, theft, lying - are all in some way dictated by the government. Do I think there is a limit to the say the government should have in our daily lives? ABSOLUTELY! But, I do recognize that there is a role that government on all levels plays in our lives that is outside of the scope of just business.

I also think that by saying ""values" -- whatever you determine that word to mean" can be dangerous as well. If as a society we do not have a set core values we will not function.

Also if it is the role of the family, church, community, etc. to instill values, how do we then expect elected officals to go about their business and ignore the values that have been instilled in them? It is a cyclical process that if one aspect gets out of whack will have greatly alter the direction of our country.

Lauren said...

amen sister.