Sunday, June 20, 2010

Settling in

Its been a while. As you may have guessed we have been busy moving from Las Vegas to Edwards, CA.  The trip wasn't a long one - about 4 hours - but packing and unpacking is always a bit overwhelming.   Before we left Vegas, our other computer died.  Not like kinda dead, but down right un-revivable dead.  It was the new one too!  It is going to cost an arm and a leg to get the info off of the hard drive.   Unfortunately, the XD card reader on this one is also dead which means no pictures as of right now.  I know you really come here for the pictures of our super cute boys, so I apologize in advance for the lack there of.

Our new house is nice.  Its about the same size as our old house, but laid out very differently.  That made unpacking easier in some ways and insanely hard in others.  Our garage is full of things that we don't have a place for in the house. The one thing I really like is that we have a play room for the boys.  Technically its a formal dinning room, but since we don't have formal dinning room furniture its a confined space for all the toys and I LOVE IT!  Its right off of the living room and kitchen, but enclosed. (I would post a picture, but we already went over that).  All the toys have a spot and it makes life so much easier.  They can go nuts in there during the day and then it takes just a few minutes to clean everything up since we were able to make a place for everything.  We have a couch in there as well so we can hang out or sit and chat while they play.  I really like the space.

The neighborhood looks a lot like a Vegas.  Stucco houses and "zeroscape" - meaning brown.  The older neighborhoods have grass, but ours and the FGO which are the newest houses, have rocks and gravel.  I wish we had grass, but thankfully I am used to the rocks. We do have grass in the backyard like Vegas, so that is nice.  I also like the small town feel.  I don't get completely freaked out if Caleb is outside and people are always stopping by.  We lived very "communally" in Vegas - always over at someone's house for dinner or play dates or just to hang out - but we didn't live in the same neighborhoods.  I might not think so in a few months, but as we are getting to know everyone its kinda fun.

I am almost completely done with the house.  I have a few more pictures to put up.  My mom came into town last week and has been an amazing help to watch the boys so that Nathan and I can work.  I hope to be done by the end of this week.  Knowing that we will only be in this house for a year makes getting everything settled quickly feel of the utmost importance.  I want to make sure that this feels like home regardless of how short a period of time we are here for.  So, that is what I am doing!

No comments: