Friday, April 25, 2008

30,000 Words and Our New Favorite Game

I watched a story on GMA the other day about how many words you need to say to your child each day to help increase his vocabulary and brain function. The answer 17,000 to 30,000 - every day! That is a lot of words. Real words, not baby talk. Luckily I don't speak baby talk. Caleb and I talk alot during the day, but I don't know how close I am to the minimum. I have resolved myself to get in those 30,000 words - well at least the 17,000 and hopefully more. I narrate everything we do, read books and have started reading my emails and articles I find during the day. I am actually reading this blog to him as I type.

The piece said there is a new device that you can put in your child's clothes that will count the number of words you say each day. It measures the total number of words as well as the number of individual words said. You can then plug it into your computer and it will graph the data and do other fun statistical things. (Math nerd, remember?) It can be yours all for the low cost $400. It can even tell the difference between actual voices and the tv so you can't cheat. Technology is amazing. I thought it was a pretty cool thing, but Nathan says it is a waste of money and I should just make sure that I talk to him all day. He said I should be good at that. =)

Here is the article:
http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/TurningPoints/story?id=4701178


On another note we have a new favorite game - its called "Kiss Attack". Pretty much I say "Kiss Attack!" and kiss him lots. So, nothing too original about that but it makes him laugh and I LOVE IT!



2 comments:

Skyman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Skyman said...

30,000 words a day!!?? Have you done the math for that? Words per minute and all?

I'm with Nathan. Another way to seperate yuppies from their money.

I have EVERY confidence that you will reach your word goal and Caleb will turn out just fine.