Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Thanks for the Tips

I need to vent for a minute.  So, I really don't mind advice on raising the kiddos and often ask for it.  Here is the thing - if you don't know me or my kids, please don't offer your random tips about what they should or shouldn't do, watch, eat, etc.  You don't know know us or what we do.

Twice now I have had totally random people tell me what I shouldn't feed Liam.  The first was a snooty flight attendant on our way home from Florida.  Liam was 2 months old and it was just the two of us.  The flight attendant came through with the drink cart and I asked for apple juice with no ice.  She started to get it out, then looked at me and sighed deeply.
Her: "Is this for you?" (With an extremely condescending tone and look on her face)
Me: "Yes" (Kinda confused like who else would it be for?)
Her: "Well there is a lot of sugar in it and you really shouldn't give this to the baby"
Me: "He's breastfed, its for me."
Her: "Well, I just wanted to make sure because its really not good for him to have all that sugar."
Me: Stunned Silence

Today at Costco we had a similar exchange with the lady handing out the cinnamon twists.  I picked one up and handed it to Caleb.
Lady: "Its ok for the big one, but not the little one"
Me: "He only drinks milk"

Ok, so do I look like I have no idea how to feed my kids?  I know they are big boys and all, but I don't just randomly feed them things they shouldn't have.  And in other news, who do these people think they are to tell me what I should or shouldn't feed him?  Seriously?   NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.

I feel better now...thanks for letting me vent.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

lol, what 4 month old doesn't like a big pretzel?? ;) oh, the sarcastic replies i could come up with, after the moment of course. babies have made my brain work much slower these days.

LAY-ah said...

that is really annoying. hope you are doing well!

The Shepard Girls said...

hahahahaha...... I know you aren't laughing, but mercy. Who are these people?!?

Unknown said...

That's completely hilarious that someone would even think that!!! :) Oh my goodness sometimes the things people feel the need to inject their opinion on...