Saturday, April 17, 2010

Edwards Experience

We have returned from our 2 day trip out to Edwards and honestly, it was not nearly as bad as I was expecting. The trip was really good for me and I am glad that we got to go.  Here are a few of the things that stood out.

- YES, it definitely is in the middle of nowhere.

- The trip from Vegas was only about 3 1/2 hours though which was shorter than I was expecting and really felt "do-able".  It felt like a drive through Texas and actually brought back a nostalgic feeling of college road trips.

- The base is actually really big and feels a lot more like a small town than an AFB with the way it is laid out.  And I do mean SMALL - Niceville feels like a booming metropolis in comparison.

- The housing is all either brand new or no more than 10 years old and in really nice condition.  We still don't know where they are going to put us, but I felt much more at peace about all of that.

- There are several parks in each neighborhood.

- They have a very nice and fairly new medical clinic and Child Development Center.

We got a chance to visit the TPS building and see what Nathan will be up to.  Slack is in class 10A (January 2010 - Nathan will be 10B), so that makes life so much easier.  He fills us in on everything going on.  I got really excited when I saw some of the cool things that Nathan is going to be able to do in the coming y year.  I knew that TPS was a big deal, but knowing that Nathan is going to be exposed to things that so few people each year get a chance to do made me really excited for him.

The 10A class was having a little party and we got a chance to meet a number of the class members and their spouses last night.  They were so very kind and gave me a lot of good info.  I always hate those kinds of situations - being the new girl - but the spouses were super encouraging.  I am hoping that the spouses from our class will be the same way.

We didn't get a chance to drive into town, because honestly I thought it might be a bit too much for me to handle all at once.  Nathan will have off for a few weeks before he actually starts classes so I figured we can go exploring then.

So there are the basics.  I am sure I am leaving something out as it was a lot packed into such a short time.  Let me know if there is something I left out. =)  Overall, it was a good trip and I feel much more relaxed about the move.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Sounds great! Glad it was above your expectations. As much as I know you hate to leave Vegas, I know that God has some amazing plans for you at Edwards. Can't wait to see it unfold. Love you.

Emma said...

Yay! Sounds like your first exposure to Edwards was better than I usually do at new bases! The first day at Eglin I had a slump-against-the-wall-and-cry breakdown on the sidewalk outside the commissary (it was Memorial Day weekend and I didn't realize it wouldn't *always* be that nutty) and the day we drove into Dayton we drove through a windstorm that knocked out power around town for weeks. Nice. :) Can't wait to see pictures and read all about it when ya'll get settled!

Leigh Ann said...

Emma - that is why we went to visit before the move! My first commissary experience was on the first of the month and I nearly had a nervous break down in the bread aisle. I called Nathan and told him he needed to come get me.

When we got to Vegas Mapquest brought us through the ghettoest part of town and I cried for about 30 minutes asking Nathan what had he done to us.

So, yeah we decided to visit before the actual move this time. =)